As of January 3, 2023, our hours of operation for in-person customers will change. Our new office hours will be 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday.
Peoria County keeps official birth records for births that occurred within Peoria County. Access to birth records is restricted. Your birth record may be issued only to the following people:
- Yourself (if you are at least 18 years of age)
- A Parent listed on the record or Legal Guardian (with proof of guardianship)
- A person authorized by your notarized consent to obtain the record
Exceptions to these restrictions apply to those interested in Genealogical Research.
How to Obtain a Certified Birth Record
- Must have valid government issued photo identification or items listed on ID Requirements (PDF)
- $16 for first certified copy, $7 for an additional copy of the same record at the same time
- Payment method: cash, debit/credit card ($2.50 transaction fee applies up to $50, additional fees apply above $50), personal check (check must include Driver’s License Number and State where issued, if not Illinois, add your phone number)
- Office hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Office location:
324 Main Street
Peoria, IL 61602
Include the following items:
- A completed Application for Vital Records Search.
- A photocopy of a valid government issued photo identification with signature or items listed on ID Requirements (PDF).
- A check (check must include your Driver’s License Number and State where issued, if not Illinois, and your phone number), money order or cashier’s check made payable to: Peoria County Clerk. Please do not send cash.
- $16 for first certified copy, $7 for an additional copy of the same record.
- Requested record(s) will be shipped within two weeks of your request once proper documentation and payment have been received.
- Mail your request to:
Peoria County Clerk
324 Main Street
Peoria, IL 61602
For access to birth certificates, your name must appear on the record or you must provide copies of documents authorizing entitlement to the record.
- Expedited delivery service with option of 2 day or next day delivery.
- Non-expedited orders will be delivered by USPS.
- Expedited requests received by noon will be shipped the same business day. Orders received after noon will be shipped by the next business day.
- The fee varies depending on the shipping method. A $19.50 expedite fee applies to expedited orders.
- Vitalchek charges all orders a $9 processing fee.
Correct a Birth Certificate
To have information corrected on your birth certificate or your child’s birth certificate, you can request a correction through IDPH Vital Records.
Create a New Birth Certificate
In regards to Legitimization, Paternity, Gender Reassignment, and Adoption, please visit IDPH Vital Records to obtain additional information, and processing requirements.
Obtaining a Birth Certificate for a Deceased Individual
For access to birth certificates for deceased individuals you must present proof of the individual passing away as well as filling out an Application for Illinois Birth Record of Deceased Individual that is required by the State of Illinois. Application for Illinois Birth Record for Deceased Individual